I will be honest, the idea of putting my thoughts and ideas out to the world seem a little intimidating. (Especially when I consider who might be reading it - family, co-workers, staff, friends, etc.) The decision to begin blogging came from a few different arenas, both of which tie into my own professional growth as an educator and leader. As I constantly look for ways to organize my own thoughts, I finally realized that when I write out my ideas it helps me to be more centered in my thinking and forces me to be more honest with myself. Not only that, but it helps me to sift through and find what is most important and what I truly value.
The other reason I have chosen to blog is because I want my staff to see that I will take a few risks of my own. (For those who might know me moderately well, I am a bit of a private person who recently discovered that I resonate with the qualities and characteristics of an introvert.) Often in education, we encourage teachers to take risks, but we don't always model what risk taking might look like. Risk taking doesn't have a formula, because it looks different for everyone. At the beginning of the 2014 school year, @ahsd25supt challenged us to think about what we would do if we weren't afraid. For me, sharing my thoughts and experiences in a digital format for the world to see is, well, a little terrifying. So, let's tackle this fear..
Blogging will help me hold myself accountable and it will give my school community and my staff some insights into what I'm thinking and learning. This is a newer adventure for me, but I'm going to embrace it and I trust I will be better for it.
Thanks for reading.
Eric
No comments:
Post a Comment